Thursday, February 24, 2011

On the Lot: Short Films by Zach Lipovsky

About four years ago, Burnett tried a new kind of reality show where aspiring movie directors competed for a job working for DreamWorks.  This show was On the Lot.

This was one reality show I didn't want to miss.  I am fascinated by the whole movie production process.  In fact, one of my dreams is to be involved in producing a blockbuster - working with the pros and adding my own touch to the movie.  I could either write a script or compose the music.  If I had enough money, I could even be a producer.  (Forget directing or acting - that's not my department.)

The show On the Lot was a good idea - a fun way to expose us laymen to the movie production process.  However, the concept was poorly executed.  The first couple of episodes were extremely boring.  They changed the format, and it was a little better - but then they made the mistake of announcing the losers in a manner similar to how it's done on American Idol.  (You stand over there.  You go over in that group.  Now if you're in back, you're gone... etc. etc.)  It was a very undignified way to punish hard working artists.  They quickly changed that format as well.

Despite the show's execution, I thoroughly enjoyed the shorts the directors produced.  Over the next few weeks, I'll showcase some of these films.  I hope you'll enjoy these (without all the reality showness attached).

Today I showcase three of Zach Lipovsky's films.  Early on, Zach was favored to win the whole event, due to his ingenuity in creating special effects with a low budget.  However, the audience ultimately decided to go with directors who incorporated more human elements into their films.  Zach won 5th place.

Here are the films:


Die Hardly Working from Zach Lipovsky on Vimeo.



Sunshine Girl from Zach Lipovsky on Vimeo.



Danger Zone from Zach Lipovsky on Vimeo.

No comments: