Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review - Harry Potter 7.2



It's finally over!  The most successful movie franchise ends in a bang.  It was a satisfying ending.  I can't say much without spoiling, and what I will say you probably already know.  It has lots of action.  People die (the producers don't hold back).  Harry Potter grows into a man.  The special effects were well done (except for perhaps the corny "3-D" scenes).

I've had people ask this question already, so I'll answer it.  Yes, 7.2 is better than 7.1.  It is better than #6.  It may be the best out of all eight movies.  (For some reason, I really like #3.)

I did not watch it in 3-D, because it was not shot in 3-D.  I did not want the final installment ruined by a gimmick.  I don't think I missed anything, except for perhaps the Gringotts scene near the beginning.  Other 3-D scenes (like a flower floating above a hand) looked "fake."  There was even one scene where I thought, "Oh, no--they did not just do that for the sake of 3-D."  But they did.  That particular effect did detract from the scene.

Be warned that this is the scariest movie of the bunch, so younger children may want to stay at home.  There was one moment when some kid in the theater yelled, "What?"  Evidently, he didn't like what he saw.  At least there are no half-naked people in this installment.

If you haven't seen this movie already, go watch it.  It has already broken opening day records.  The movies have earned it.  J. K. Rowling has earned it.  And now it's all over.

No comments: