Saturday, January 20, 2018

Coco and the Last Jedi

Continuing with the catch up, I'll review one movie where I caught the midnight showing, and one that I caught super late on New Year's Day.





Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I'll first come out and say that I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Jedi, and I also realize that I'm in good company. Next week I'll give a more detailed spoiler-filled analysis, responding to several of the complaints lobbied against this film. For now, this is the spoiler-free quick review.

The Last Jedi picks up immediately after The Force Awakens. The First Order continues to destroy what is left of the old Republic, and Rey looks to Luke Skywalker for answers and training.

In some aspects, this was the best Star Wars movie I've seen. The plot was interesting, incorporating certain devices never used before in the previous movies. There was an amazing amount of development among several characters such that the sum total may be even more than the total character development of the original six movies combined. (The Force Awakens also has a good amount of development.) The fight scenes were a whole level above anything we've seen before. Some visuals were beyond amazing. And as always, the musical cues were spot on.

In other aspects I was disappointed. The CGI for Snoke (and other characters) looked bad to me. Sure, it was detailed, but there was a large amount of uncanny valley, making him look fake. Some plot twists really disappointed me. (We are warned in the trailer: "This is not going to go the way you think.") Most of the MARVEL-type jokes felt out of place. Someone thought it was a good idea to insert a political statement. The length of the movie was a little too long.

I caught the "midnight" showing on a regular screen, and a week later watched it in 2D IMAX. I can't say how elated I was to learn a non-3D version was available. I realize the studios sacrificed the extra $3 per ticket to allow this to happen, but it was good for us consumers, and I wish more distributors would go this route. Unless the movie was shot in 3D (not converted), most movies are actually more enjoyable in 2D IMAX than in 3D IMAX. Though, with that said, I was disappointed that the 2D IMAX version was nothing more than the regular screen proportions thrown on a bigger screen and louder speakers. In other words, you don't get the extra stuff above and below the standard screen. Instead you get the black bars -- wasted screen.

If you haven't seen it yet, catch it before it leaves theaters, and then you too can decide for yourself if you really love it, or if you really hate it.





Coco

I believe Coco would be near the top of my list of movies I've seen from 2017. (I'll have to make a list next week.) It may even top my list of all PIXAR movies. The story is awesome, and the imagery wonderful. Plus, it evidently provides an accurately view into the whole Day of the Dead traditions -- Mexicans seem to love it.

Miguel secretly learns to play guitar in a family that has shunned music. When he comes to learn that his great grandfather was a famous musician, he tries to follow his dreams and ends up in the spirit world.

As a PIXAR movie, you can expect the usual tropes, plot twists, and those little nagging things in the back of the brain that tell you, "this can't possibly work" if you think too much about it. But the good story holds it all together, and somehow tricks you into thinking there's something real behind the fantasy. By the end of the movie, my whole family was in tears, even the two kids who never cry from anything.

The music is also amazing, with real guitar playing in the animation. And did I already mention how great and detailed the whole animation is?

If you've missed this movie, it still isn't too late to catch it at a discount theater. It's worth seeing the animation on the big screen, though I bet on the small screen, the story will still captivate you.

No comments: