Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Postmortem: Alcatraz and Napoleon Dynamite

I know - I'm late with my postmortem tributes for Spring 2012.  I've been behind on my TV viewing, but now I'm caught up.

Today I say goodbye to two FOX shows:

Alcatraz:  It had a few good episodes, though they were mostly formulaic.  It felt like it was just beginning to establish itself in its short 13 episode run.  The show's mythology was just beginning to gain momentum.  Could they have kept the energy going?  Perhaps.  Eventually they would have to stop introducing new bad guys and bring everything more together.

The ending was very disappointing.  Not necessarily because it was poorly done, but because it was a cliffhanger that will never get resolved.  I would really like to know what would have happened next.

On the other hand, this is a show I won't miss.  It was good, but not Firely good, or LOST good.

I will miss Hurley.  TV needs a good teddy bear, so I'm sure we'll see him again.  Rumors are that he may join the crew of Once Upon a Time.

Napoleon Dynamite:  I'm really upset about this one.  Napoleon was different.  It had some really funny moments.  Even my kids loved it.  They would go around for days spouting quotes from the show.

What made it so funny?  You just never knew what was going to happen next.  Like in the movie, the pace was a little on the slow side, but when they delivered, you never saw it coming and it slapped you across the face with laughter.

And we only get 6 episodes?  You can fit all of that on one DVD.  Just one!

Why did it fail?  My guess is that it just didn't fit in with "Animation Domination."  There weren't enough naked people running around, and not enough sex jokes.  Even The Simpsons appears to be pushing its own envelope just to keep up with its brother toons.

Producers of Napoleon: in the unlikely event that you read this, just know that I, for one, would keep watching if you made more episodes.  They were funny, and I'm going to miss that type of humor you just can't find anywhere else.

No comments: