Saturday, January 9, 2016

Winter 2016 New Shows

Now that the Fall shows are in full force, this is the time that the mid-season shows kick in. Here are four shows that I'm checking out. Though, I'll have to warn these shows -- I'm already pretty booked. If they don't deliver, they're gone.


The Expanse (SyFy Tuesday 10PM) - This show actually started last month. I've seen five episodes so far, and it's enough to catch my attention. It contains hints of Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 (without the aliens), and the movie Outland.

The first episode was very confusing, but starting with the second episode, it got to be pretty exciting. The story takes place in the near future when we have colonies and bases on Mars, on the Moon, and several other moons and asteroids. The main action takes place around Ceres, where a mining colony is stationed. Tensions are high between Earth and Mars. A group called the OPA continually protests for the rights of those not born on Earth or Mars. (Or at least I think that's what they do -- I'm still unclear.)

Some party, as yet to be identified, seems bent to start a war between Earth and Mars. And something else seems to be going on.

What gets me excited is how much the writers are trying to stay within the realm of real science, and give us a sci-fi story that could really happen. I'll keep watching.

You can catch up on the first five episodes on SyFy.com.





The X-Files (SyFy premieres Sunday Jan. 24, then Mondays at 8PM) - Back in August or September, I heard about the upcoming X-Files revival. So, I decided to give the old series a try. As I described before, I found a list of have-to-watch episodes to help me catch up. After I catch the 2008 movie, I'll be ready.

I was pleasantly surprised with the original series. With the Vince Gilligan connection (of Breaking Bad fame), I should have expected it would be a good show. I'll give a full report on the old series next week, but for now, I'm looking forward to some new episodes.

The truth is out there!





Colony (USA premieres Thursday Jan. 14 10PM) - This looks interesting. Sawyer from LOST, producer Carlton Cuse from LOST, the girl everyone seems to hate from The Walking Dead but loved in Prison Break? I don't know much about it, but it looks better than the Minority Report TV show, so I'll give it a shot.





The Magicians (SyFy premieres Monday Jan. 25 9PM) - This is probably the most iffy of the four shows I'm looking at. It looks like a cross between Hogwarts for grownups and Alphas. It could be interesting, but also a regurgitation of something I've already seen. We'll see how it goes ...

No comments: