Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Preview

2016 is going to be an awesome year, because it's divisible by 32, which is 2x2x2x2x2. Check out its binary representation: 11111100000. That's six ones followed by five zeroes. Awesome! It's also the last year divisible by 32 before 2048, which will be 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 -- eleven twos! And finally, let's check out the full prime factorization of 2016: 2x2x2x2x2x3x3x7. No 2-digit prime divisors, which is only the second time this has happened in my lifetime (the other time being 2000).

Anyhow, as I mentioned in my last post, I determined that I didn't do so well in 2015 because I lacked focus (of which I will give more details in a later post). Around August, I decided to hire a life coach to help me get back on track. We're still working on it, but I've come to learn what my main priorities are, and I'm already making headway.

After doing some math, I've determined that the fastest way for me to start earning a profit is to publish music (of which I'll give more detail in my Music blog when the time is right). A big chunk of my free time in 2016 will go into that venture.

My efforts in fiction writing will be less, but more directed. My life coach explains that a good goal has to be specific (S), measurable (M), actionable (A), realistic (R), and timely (T). So, if I can set more directed goals, it drastically increases the success rate of achieving the goals.

So, here's what I have for 2016:
  • "Justice": Finish the 6th draft and submit to a professional editor (prior to self-publishing).
    • After a couple of weeks preparation in January, edit/rewrite one chapter a week until the draft is finished.
    • During the editing stage, research reputable editors, and choose one to go with.
    • When the entire draft is finished, submit to the editor.
    • If time permits, institute/correct editor's changes.
    • Final preparations for the book will be done in 2017.
  • "The Last Actuary": Prepare another short story for the 2017 Actuarial Speculative Fiction contest.
    • Start writing Oct. 1.
    • Finish first draft by Dec. 1.
    • Submit for critique targeting first part of Jan 2017.
    • Final edit and submission will be during Jan 2017.
  • 26 magazine submissions (every other week).
There will be 5 goal review sessions at the end of every other month to make sure I stay on track. The first will be around Feb. 28.

There you have it: direct, actionable, specific goals. I'll let you know how it goes along the way.

Good luck with your own goals, and shoot for a productive year!

No comments: