Saturday, May 13, 2023

Travelers: An Impressive Show


If you're looking for a time travel show done correctly (mostly), you should check out Travelers, showing on Netflix. Produced by Brad Wright, one of the Stargate writers and producers, this show does what Avengers: Endgame tried to do, but succeeds.

Though there are a couple of tiny mistakes, Travelers sticks with its own time travel mechanics throughout all three seasons, and it all actually works -- even accounting for causality issues. Which is amazing, considering other shows that come close usually end up giving up in later seasons. For example, Continuum had an awesome first season, but then it threw away its time mechanics to make way for really stupid stuffs.

I wish I could say more about the time travel mechanics in Travelers, but finding out on your own is lots of fun, so I'll stop here. Though in a couple of weeks, I'll give a spoiler-filled analysis of the series closer -- a very satisfying end.

A quick summary of the plot: In the near future, something really bad is going to happen, and it's going to basically destroy humanity except for a small group of survivors. They eventually discover how to travel back in time, so they send "travelers" back to try and stop the disaster. These travelers must work in secret, and as you may expect, other people are going to make this difficult, setting up some very interesting situations and some really good moments. And very strong character development.

Plus, you get to rewatch some of your favorite SG-1 and SG: Universe actors.

And it's on the short side: just 34 episodes.

Only one drawback: it does have F-bombs, often of the inorganic type. But, if you happen to use VidAngel, they got you covered.

Also, one quick little announcement here: since I'm evidently so crazy busy these days. I've decided to slow down on my movie and TV reviews considerably, and have decided that I'm now only going to report on shows that I really, really like. I'm no longer going to waste time blasting shows I don't like.

So, ... catch Travelers. It's really up there on my list of favorite newer shows.

No comments: