Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Finishing off the Librarians


It took me a while, but I finally finished off The Librarians on TNT. I had kind of lost interest the first time around -- evidently because TNT made it difficult at the time to catch shows on demand when the DVR failed. But since my DVR was set to catch any "new" episodes, it went ahead and captured those episodes when they became available again. So, over the next few years, I pretty much had the entire rest of the series waiting for me. And then when I had made the decision a couple of years ago to get rid of cable, I saw this series' existence on my DVR, and I finished it out.

So yes -- it's one of those shows that I had a hard time getting excited about, but it was interesting enough for me to finish. It's one of those shows where I got around to it after catching up on my other shows, but yet I was able to enjoy watching while I watched. Each episode was decent and funny. Every now and then there would be really good episodes that actually had me looking forward to the next episode.

The Librarians are guardians of the Library, which contains a whole bunch of magical artifacts. Several bad guys try to destroy or take over the Library along the way. Noah Wyle plays the main Librarian, who trains three other uprising Librarians. Rebecca Romijn (of X-Men/Mystique fame) is also in there.

What I liked: the show had a lot of energy and kept my attention. It also doesn't involve much brain power to process, so it's good show to relax to. The characters were interesting enough to like.

What I didn't like: the show seemed to lack direction. Each season has an overarching arc, but it was still really "bad guy of the week."

There are four seasons, and the last one comes to a satisfying conclusion. There were plans for more episodes, but I'm not going to miss it very much. It was a fun memory and now I'm done.

My recommendation: if you're looking for something simple, low-level thinking, funny, energetic, and not much of a commitment -- then check it out.

No comments: