Monday, June 24, 2013

The Man of Steel Rocks



I should first admit that I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder's films. The Man of Steelis no exception. As you watch, prepare yourself for Snyder's usual comic-book style of directing ... his epic scenes ... his cool special effects ... and of course the one guy who likes to yell like that one Sparta dude.

Add in a little Christopher Nolan and David Goyer, writers of Batman fame, and you have an epic film that nearly blows away all Superman movies made before.

The cast is very strong. The plot is strong. The fight scenes are epic. Hans Zimmer's score rocks, as he explores new musical ideas. (In fact I thought it was someone else trying to imitate Zimmer's style ... I laughed when I saw it was indeed Zimmer.)

If I had to complain, it would mainly come from comparing with earlier Superman films. A lot of stuff feels missing, and sometimes things happen that could make one say, "That's not how it's supposed to go!" Some may find this movie darker than all the rest. But don't worry ... our hero, Kal'el, stays pure and true to the American wave. (Well, it's now more like the worldwide wave.) In fact I would venture to say that despite the PG-13 rating, I think it would be safe and enjoyable to kids down to say 10 years old.

Also, a couple of times, the fight scenes were so epic that it actually felt a little too much to take in. Then again ... that's why you need to watch the movie again. One thing's for sure, though. After watching this movie, it's hard to watch any of the fight scenes from Superman II with Christopher Reeve:


In all, I say ... well done! I'd recommend not watching it in 3-D. It's awesome all by itself in good old-fashioned 2-D, and since they didn't pay the extra money to film it in 3-D (instead resorting to the cheaper conversion method), why pay the extra dough for the glasses?

I look forward to the sequel and the upcoming Justice League movie.

No comments: