Monday, April 11, 2011

Restaurant Reviews: Bonsai and Old Europe

Tonight I'll try my hand at reviewing local restaurants.  Orson Scott Card does it, and so can I!  I'd like to write about two new restaurants that I've really enjoyed.



Bonsai: Japanese/Sushi
4613 Yadkinville Rd
Pfafftown, NC 27040

This place opened up a few months ago and I've already been there four or five times.  The weird thing is, the food is not getting old.  I don't know what they're doing, but I've tried different Japanese places around town, and Bonsai keeps calling me back.

Every time I go, I order the same thing: steak hibachi with mixed veggies, a side order of harumaki (spring rolls) and the shrimp sauce.  The steak bites are good seasoned cuts.  The shrimp sauce is mayonnaise mixed with paprika and other secret ingredients (it doesn't actually have any shrimp in it).  It's either the steak or the sauce that I like so much - can't tell which - maybe it's both!

If I feel like splurging, I'll get the cheesecake.  That's something I can't seem to resist!

The price is right for a good portion of food.  I also hear the sushi is good.  Give it a try, and be prepared to return.



Old Europe Restaurant: German
1540 South Stratford Rd.
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

This is authentic German food - or at least as authentic as you can get in North Carolina.  It's a little pricey, but still affordable.  For the price, they offer large portions of good quality food.  At lunch, the prices are a little cheaper.

For an appetizer, I split an order of the Potato Pancakes with Applesauce.  Then I got the Reuben Sandwich.  At this point, I was already full, but I had to try some dessert.  I ordered the apple struedel, which was a good finish.

I hear the wiener schnitzel is pretty good as well.

We went on a busy Friday during the first week they were open when they were down a waitress.  So, service was a little slow.  It's my only complaint for an otherwise fun experience. 

The patronage seemed to consist mainly of older people with German lineage, which my wife and I found cute.  These older people can be quite friendly.

Would I go back?  Jawohl!

1 comment:

Airline reviews said...

This is the perfect destination for those who enjoy a great cocktail and excellent appetizers. It is a fine dining restaurant where most menu-ism users came for a family meal. Thanks a lot for sharing with us...