Monday, July 12, 2021

Fear the Living Dead: Giving Up


I made it through four seasons of Fear the Walking Dead, and I've just had no inclination to continue. It was a fun ride for the first three seasons.

Season 1 started off strong, giving a glimpse into the beginnings of the zombie apocalypse -- the main aspect that attracted me to the show in the first place. But toward the end of season 1, the writers decided to skip a whole week, and it felt like the energy dropped -- now that everyone had a better idea of what was going on, it had, as several of my friends called it, turned into just another Walking Dead.

However, the writers kept things interesting with the whole plot of the government mishandling things.

Season 2 was okay, as the families journey on Strand's boat and end up in Mexico. It had a lot of slow parts, but there always seemed to be something to keep me going. Plus, it has lots of good Spanish to listen to.

Season 3 picked up big time -- definitely the highlight of the show -- IMO, building to an explosive finale.

But then Season 4 happened. Unfortunately, the writers decided to do a crossover, bringing in Morgan from The Walking Dead. I was most disappointed because this necessitated a gigantic time jump so the two shows could catch up. You remember all that energy that built up at the end of Season 3? It was all dispersed instantly with this poor choice of events. The main aspect that had attracted me to this show was the fact that it wasn't The Walking Dead, and again, someone thought it a good idea to crossover. Why?

The writing was still decent -- but it just got boring. I liked Dorie, and some of the new characters. Even that bad guy Melvin (almost the same as my name) was interesting. The overarching plot just felt forced to bend to some executive's whim, and it lost direction. So much so that when Season 5 started back up, I was all -- who cares?

If I hear that it gets better, I may pick it back up once the show is done -- we'll see. It was fun, and now I'm done.

No comments: