Friday, June 4, 2021

A Quiet Place Part II

 

The long awaited sequel, A Quiet Place Part II, has finally arrived. I think it was supposed to be released last year, but was delayed due to the pandemic. And now that it's come out, it has enjoyed the highest grossing domestic weekend since the pandemic began -- possibly a sign that people will again return to theaters.

I would have never guessed that the funny guy from The Office would ever turn out to be a surprisingly good writer and director. He continues his good work with this sequel, which picks up immediately after the first movie.

To jog your memory, the Earth has been invaded by aliens who can only find you by sound. As long as you're quiet, you survive.

As a result, this movie was so quiet, I could hear the music and some sounds from the theater one room over. Strangely, it seemed to add to the suspense. So funny. We also had some people in the theater who just had to make noise during the movie, and my first thought was, "Shhh! You're going to get us all killed."

Overall, the suspense was good. Some of the jump scares were actually effective, and not stupid. The effects were good -- the aliens believable, though by the end of the movie, I think my brain started to pick up on some of the alien patterns -- some artifact of the AI or the animation -- something that made them look less real.

Though, I did notice the usual classical tropes -- like Chekov's gun, and some dramatic coincidences. I was able to overlook most of these as I was having too much fun getting sucked up into the movie. And it delivered exactly what I was expecting.

So, go catch the movie as soon as you can, and have fun!

No comments: