Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Remembering Colony -- Another Cancelled Show


Here is another one of my guilty pleasures -- the series called Colony. It showed on the USA network for three seasons until they decided to cancel it. And funny thing -- I didn't find out about the cancellation until a couple of years later. I caught the first season on USA and then around that time I stopped watching TV in lieu of the streaming services. So, I didn't finish seasons two and three until they showed up on streaming. All three seasons are currently on Netflix.

And big warning -- when I finished the last episode of season three, I was all geared up to watch season 4 and resolve the cliffhangers only to discover that it doesn't exist and will likely never exist. Dang.

First off -- I really love these dystopian shows, like V (Original), Walking Dead, Revolution, Jericho, and so on. So, this show fit in well with me.

Will Bowman (Josh Holloway) and Katie (Sarah Waynes Callies) live in a colony that used to be part of Los Angeles. Aliens have taken over our world and are using us as slave labor, and for some reason the humans in charge are cooperating. Well -- they kind of have to, because it's help or die. But these human leaders turn to a fascist model to control the people.

Will is a detective who helps to keep order in the colony, while Katie is a member of the Resistance. So, Katie must keep her identity hidden from her husband. And Will does what he needs to do, reluctantly, in order to survive. The one thing the two parents have in common is that they want the best for their children. 

One son is lost in another unreachable sector, and so Will decides to go after him.

In all, it turns out to be an enjoyable story. Sometimes the plot gets a little convoluted to set up conflict between the husband and wife, but I was able to overlook that and keep watching.

In the later seasons, it did seem to waffle some with filler episodes, but I think most of the original plot stayed intact. And fun plot twists along the way.

I wouldn't mind if they came back and finished off the story. Just one quick season?

If you don't mind ending on cliffhangers, you may enjoy this dystopian TV show, but if you know that unresolved loose ends are going to bug you -- then stay far away from this addicting show.

No comments: