Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Sanderson: Mistborn 3

Brandon Sanderson saves the best for last. The Hero of Ages concludes the first Mistborn series, and this book by itself makes the whole series worth reading.

The story of Vin continues as she continues toward her destiny, which you know is going to have plenty of fighting, running, standing, and magic. With the end of the world approaching, Vin must learn what must be done to save the world, but is she up to the task?

Again, I can't say much without spoiling, but I can still talk in generalities.

One thing I didn't say about the first two books: each one has short excerpts from someone's journal. In the first two books, they are very cryptic ... you're not really certain who's writing, and the writings raise many more questions than they answer.

However, in this last book, the introductory writings are much more direct, and ... get this ... every single chapter has a major reveal. When I read the first one in the first chapter, I was taken by surprise, and was a little concerned that the author was giving away too much too early.

But nope ... I was wrong.

And I hope you enjoyed reading the first two books, because the third is entirely about how everything you thought was true was only the tip of the iceberg. I was amazed at how rich the first two books were, and then the third one blew me away. Think of starting with The Hobbit and then finishing with Lord of the Rings. Practically every question is answered, and the entire book is possibly one of the most satisfying conclusions I've read in a trilogy.

While the first two books had boring parts, this book had none. Now with the world entirely established, Sanderson could focus on pushing the story to its end. And my favorite part: many of the original team who played more minor roles in the past played much bigger roles here, as this book takes on a divide and conquer route. I think one of everyone's favorite story is the growth of Spook / Lestibournes, who ... well ... I'll give you a nibble ... picks up another skill of magic.

And like I said before, after having read two books of A Song of Fire and Ice, and that really bad book about EMPs, it was a great pleasure to read this trilogy -- much lighter reading and much more reward. If you haven't read it yet, I highly encourage it.

No comments: